Loom, a new menswear store in Parkhurst, Johannesburg, is the suburb’s (and Johannesburg’s) first retail collaboration with a handpicked selection of cult status brands including Japanese enigmatic fashion label, Comme des Garçons.
Created and co-owned by Anthony Keyworth, Anne Caballé-Keyworth and Richard Shaw (the names behind British fashion label Paul Smith in South Africa), Loom is the trioʼs third retail project to launch since the arrival of Paul Smith in Cape Town and Johannesburg in late 2008.
Situated at Shop 22 on the corner of 4th Avenue and 10th Street, Parkhurst, a neighbourhood synonymous with European-like sidewalk café culture, Loom occupies a highly visible 110 square metre space in what was previously home to the popular interior decorating store, Trading Spaces.
Offering a limited collection of street apparel and high-end fashion, Loom is home to a handpicked selection of internationally renowned brands that enjoy a devout following, including: Sixpack (France), Denim Demon (Sweden) and Denham the Jeanmaker (Holland) to name but a few.
Speaking exclusively to menʼs interests, Loomʼs products include South African staples such as jeans, causal shirts, t-shirts, shoes as well as accessories, collectables, chocolate and coffee.
Loom’s shop space is intentionally minimalist with bold shop fittings and excellent lighting, which ultimately places major emphasis on its offering of apparel. Each season will bring new collections, new fashion brands and shop-fit, as well as new objects of curiosity.
We’ve selected a few items from the Loom catalouge and pieced them together for a clean and minimalistic urban outfit for these cold winter nights, our selection features;
– Sixpack France Vercors Cardigan, constructed from 100% cotton with wooden button detailing.
– Lost Youth Artist Series T-Shirt by Greg Ewing, Belgian artist Greg Ewing has collaborated with Sixpack France to release a series of Artist Series t-shirts including ‘Lost Youth’.
– Grader DRS by Denham the Jeanmaker, a tight-fit jean crafted from Denham the Jeanmaker’s Double Ring Stretch (DRS) denim. Dark blue in colour, the Grader features a light upper-leg wash and when turned-up, exposes a contrasting black inner.
– Alexander McQueen for Puma, is an exciting and experimental collaboration between a classic sports heritage brand and an innovative designer that always pushes boundaries. The Deck Low trainer has a leather upper, padded tongue with branded detailing, and contrasting vulcanized rubber sole.
– Comme des Garçons Dover Street Market, by Comme des Garçons is an unusually modern construction of a classic woody fragrance. DSM is a unisex fragrance that’s characterised by notes of bergamot, mandarin, black pepper, coriander, incense, juniper berry, cedar wood, patchouli and pine essence
– Memento Sandalwood Pocket Watch, accessories with the Memento sandalwood pocket watch, best described as a classic timepiece with a Japanese movement, housed in an elegant wooden case.
For more items visit the Loom website on www.loom.za.com, Loom, is tipped to be lauching an online store in 2012- watch this (ever-changing) space!